Frequently Asked Questions about Sell my Car

I have accepted the quote, how long will it take for someone to collect my car?
We aim to get someone to you on the someday you accept the offer; however we can arrange collection of the car to a time and date to suit you, please call us on the above number to arrange this.

How will I get paid?
The fastest way to pay you is obviously cash. We can also pay you via electronic transfer from our account to yours. There is no charge for this service, and we make the transfer while our driver is at your collection address. Cleared funds are generally available within 10-15 mins. If you would prefer to receive a cheque from us, you have the opportunity to do this.

I cannot find my car on your website?
We buy almost all makes and models. If you can’t find your car on our website, just drop an e-mail in with the details of your car or free phone 0800 206 2366 for an instant quote.

What kind of cars do you buy?
We buy almost any vehicles which are available, from £100 to £100,000+

What if my car has been damaged in an accident?
If your car is damaged or was damaged and is repaired now, we can still purchase the car depending on the level of damage.

What if I have finance outstanding on my car?
We can settle your outstanding finance as part of the transaction. Due to Data Protection laws, you may have to obtain your settlement in writing on our behalf. If your car is worth more than you owe on finance, we will pay the balance into your account at the time of collection. Don't worry if you owe more on finance than the offer price of your car, we will still buy your car. All you need to do is pay us the balance on collection, using a debit or credit card. We will then pay the finance company in full, completing the sale of your car and settlement of finance in just one simple transaction.

What if my car has been imported?
We will still buy your car. Bear in mind that models and specifications vary from country to country, so the price may differ from that of a UK supplied car in some circumstances. If your car does not appear on our web site, contact us with the details of your car and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

What is an import?
There are two types of import. A "parallel" import (purchased in the EU) which you can request valuation for as a normal vehicle as there should only be a minor difference with this type of import. A grey import (purchased outside the EU), however, requires a different approach to valuation. Please specify the type of import at point of enquiry (details are specified on the V5 Registration document).

What happens if I miss a scratch or dent?
Remember, our valuation is based on the description that you provide, and if your online appraisal does not match our collection driver's appraisal, we may adjust our offer accordingly.

How do you calculate the price for my car?
The price is calculated automatically when you submit your car details. This is done through the advanced software technology at the heart of, which allows us to make a calculation based on your specific car details, and not merely an automated, generic price. We don’t just take your input details and then attempt to pre-sell your car before making you an offer, nor do we try to take advantage of you if you want to sell your car quickly - in fact, quite the opposite. Because we actually want your car, we generate our best price for each car, every time. Our prices are remarkably accurate in terms of the prevailing market at any given time. They are also guaranteed, providing that you have been careful and accurate when inputting the details, and that you make your car available for collection at the time and place you have chosen.

I do not have a V5 registration document?
We do need your original V5 document if we are to buy your car. If you don’t have one, don’t worry, you can obtain a replacement through the DVLA. If the car is registered in your name and your address, you can get a duplicate document over the phone. The number to call is 0300 790 6802. You should receive your replacement V5 document within 3 – 4 working days. If the car is not registered in your name, then you will have to fill in a V62 form. The completed form and appropriate fee should be sent to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR. A new document will then be issued to you in about 3 - 4 weeks.

What do I do if I have a personalised plate?
As the registered keeper of a vehicle, you can apply to remove a registration number from the vehicle and hold it on a retention document for one, two or three years. You will need to take or send a completed form V317, along with your V5 and test certificate, to your nearest DVLA local office.

Will you charge to collect my car?
No - we will collect your car at the location of your choice and at your convenience, free of charge. What’s more, we are the only company to offer this service. And before you ask, no, there aren’t any administration charges lurking in the small print!

Is part-ex not a better option for me?
If you are looking for a new car, you may be considering a part-exchange. When you part-ex your car at a dealership, the dealer calculates the amount of money he will make on your old car and your new car combined. Dealers may offer you what seems to be a very good part-ex price, but that will probably be to persuade you to buy an over-priced new car! Without doubt, the best way to negotiate at any dealership is to have cash in your hand and be ready to bargain hard.

  Send Your Question  
  Your Name  
  Your Email  
  Your Telephone  
  Your Question  
  Enter Captcha  
  create email form  
  Reload Image  

  Site Map   Contact Us   Social Media  

Home Page
Sell My Car
How it Works
About Us
Privacy Policy


FreePhone 0800 206 2208



© Copyright SellMyCar ® 2014-2023  Privacy Policy